- Innovation and new technologies
- Quality and efficiency
- Natural ingredients
- Appealing and attention-grabbing packaging
- Affordable products
Less than 20 years ago, a list of some of the most wanted gifts by many beauty aficionados included Revlon lipstick from the U.S., Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder from France or Shiseido cream from Japan. These products were sold at imported goods shops in Namdaemun Market where people bought them at extremely high markups that sometimes exceeded the monthly living expenses of an ordinary household. Even today, we can find older women who still seek out these skincare and cosmetic products.
However, over recent years such trends have been reversed, thanks to a growing interest in domestic cosmetics. Recently, overseas demand for Korean skincare products and cosmetics has exceeded domestic demand for imported makeup. This can be seen first-hand at duty free shops across Seoul as tourists of various nationalities queue up to purchase Korean cosmetics.
We are very interested in whether these cosmetics are so miraculous as they advertise.
- Despite the fact that Korean cosmetics contain many rare ingredients. From honey, cucumbers and cereals to more unusual ingredients such as eggs and snail slime, Korean products favour natural ingredients instead of harsh and harmful chemicals.
- They’re affordable, and many are open 24/7 so anyone can use them!
- Cosmetics sold in Korea are regulated by the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS), which monitors production and distribution in several sectors.
- Korean brands place great care into packaging. Korean cosmetic products are usually packaged in appealing packaging, which you will immediately fall in love with. From lovely lip gloss with bunny ears to moisturising cream in the shape of a panda and hand cream in the shape of a banana, these playful products will captivate you immediately.
- It was from Korea that the general use of hydrogel patches for the eyes began. And not just for the eyes. It turns out there are patches for the neck and even for the buttocks .
- Face and lip masks are widely used in South Korea . Especially popular are night masks. Their effectiveness is due to the fact that such masks contain a higher concentration of active ingredients.
- It is well-known that Korean women are demanding and prudent when it comes to skin care. Companies are constantly investing in research and development in order to create new breakthrough formulations and unique products that would satisfy this demanding market.
- Almost all care products contain a whitening component – niacinamide .
- Korean designers are working tirelessly on new packaging ideas. It’s all about storytelling, with lots of princesses, princes, castles and crowns and diamante.
- To prevent all kinds of problems with the appearance, the Asian beauty industry offers a 10-step facial skin care: cleansing, toning, nourishing, moisturizing and protecting. Each of these steps is divided into 2 steps. And each step involves the use of one or another means. This integrated approach is paying off after 14 days of use.
- Thanks to the huge selection, it is possible to choose cosmetics specifically for you, combining a variety of serums, emulsions, masks, etc.
- The unique company Skin Food , whose motto is “Delicious cosmetics from delicious food!”, Uses real vegetables, fruits and all kinds of nutritious ingredients in its products, which are not only useful, but also look incredibly seductive.
- Anti-aging cosmetics really work , and it has no budget counterparts.
- Hair care is very diverse: argan oil, rose hip oil and evening primrose oil to nourish and repair deeply damaged hair.
- However, despite the obvious pluses, there are also disadvantages. For example, before using this or that line of cosmetics, you should definitely consult a cosmetologist, because some components can cause serious allergies.
- Snail mucus extract (mucin), which is widely used in Korean cosmetics, is still not well understood , and the opinions of cosmetologists.
Bonus: Daily skincare routine everyday
Do you have experience using Korean cosmetics? Share the results with us.