A newborn baby seems to be a helpless lump that needs continuous adult care. This is true, but only in part. In fact, babies are much stronger than we thought: they know how to manipulate mom using chemical impulses, sleep with their eyes open and are not at all afraid of heights.
We Happy Worthy Life learned the facts about newborns and those babies who are just getting ready to be born. It turned out that our children are still superheroes.
Newborns taste better than adults (for an unusual reason)
On the tongue, mucous membrane of the mouth and palate of the baby there are more taste buds than in an adult: 30 thousand against 10 thousand. Some scientists believe that such a lot of receptors are needed to understand the world around us. Licking objects, babies probably feel not only taste, but also much more. According to the theory of synesthesia , signals from one sensory system may end up in another system. For example, a person sees the color of music or smells words. Something similar is happening with newborns.
- Due to the huge number of neurons and taste buds, just by licking toys, hands, surrounding objects, children receive much more information than adults. And getting older, we cut off unnecessary neural connections and perceive the world in the usual way.
The child can restore the internal organs of the mother
Scientists have noticed that some women with heart muscle weakness soon after birth feel better. And you need to thank the fetus in the womb for this: the mother’s cardiac activity can be improved thanks to the stem cells from the baby’s umbilical cord.
- The same applies to other organs. Embryonic cells are found in damaged lungs, heart, or brain of pregnant women . So the fetus is trying to fix the body of his mother in order to survive.
Some babies sleep with their eyes ajar. Sometimes this manner can scare parents
Doctors say that there is nothing to worry about: ajar eyes indicate that the baby is in a phase of REM sleep (it is in it that we see dreams and process the information received about the world). Adults spend in this phase 25% of the time per night, and children spend as much as 50%. So kids train their memory and improve the nervous system.
- It is because of the predominance of the fast phase of sleep that it is difficult for young parents to put the baby in the crib.
Newborns do not sweat and cry without tears
In the first weeks of life, children cry without tears and almost do not sweat . All this is due to the underdevelopment of the lacrimal ducts and sweat glands. There are two types of sweat-producing glands in our body : the apocrine ones are activated only in adolescence, and the eccrine ones are activated a few weeks after birth.
- Therefore, it is so important for parents to ensure that the newborn does not overheat. It is dangerous to wrap the baby in several diapers – the baby still does not know how to cool himself.
Just born babies are able to pick up the heat signals of their mothers
Nature supplied the newborns with peculiar temperature sensors. If immediately after the birth the baby is put on the mother’s chest, then he will crawl to the nipple and begin to eat. Italian doctors conducted a small study and found that the temperature of the baby’s lips is lower than the temperature of the mother’s chest. Due to this difference, the child can find a source of food.
- Scientists suggest that women give heat signals to their children, and they are able to perceive them.
An infant has more neural connections than an adult
Children are born with 100 million neural connections in the brain. This is 2 times more than in adults, while the brain volume of children is much smaller. So, to some extent, babies think more than their parents: in the first year of life, babies need to learn a huge amount of information. True, by the age of 3, the brain cuts off excess synaptic connections in order to optimize its work.
- If pruning of synapses does not occur according to plan, then both the genius and the autistic or even schizophrenic may appear before the world.
When an adult is cold, he is trembling, but the baby is not
Newborns do not tremble if they are cold. They have a special way of thermoregulation: 5% of the body of a small person is brown adipose tissue. It protects the baby from hypothermia, so babies are less susceptible to cold than adults. In adults, this mechanism of thermoregulation is absent.
- If you notice that the child is trembling, this may indicate neurological problems or that the baby is simply hungry .
Children are able to change eye color, but this will not happen to everyone
Babies can change eye color. Some babies are born with blue eyes, but not for long. The color pigment melanin in our body is not produced immediately . Parents can only guess what eye color the child will have. With one exception.
- Brown eyed babies will not change the color of their eyes – there is enough melanin in their body . And blue eyed in four cases out of five will become green eyed or brown eyed.
Toddlers manipulate mothers with chemical impulses
Nature arranged for children to directly act on pleasure centers in the mother’s brain. When a woman inhales the smell of a baby, a complex chemical reaction starts . Dopamine, a substance responsible for pleasure, enters the bloodstream. In fact , we experience the same type of satisfaction when we are full after we get hungry or quench our thirst.
- Babies can manipulate not only their mothers: the infant smell even affects women who have not given birth. True, not so much.
Children are not afraid of heights until a certain age
Scientists say that up to 9 months, babies are not afraid to fall from a height. Fear comes only when the baby has already learned to crawl. In the case of children, such courage is the product of a lack of information. When a child begins to move independently in space, the brain receives data from peripheral vision and learns to adjust the balance.
- When a child lies still, his world is stable and predictable, and therefore there is no fear.
All babies are gold. Literally
In tiny amounts, gold is found in soil, water, plants, and even in the human body. On average, we are proud owners of 0.2 mg of pure gold in the body. But our babies are literally golden: in their hair, the concentration of the noble metal is 2 times higher than in the earth’s crust.
- Experts believe , that such concentration of gold is formed due to breast-feeding, and by 3 months metal content returns to normal.
Half of babies have special markings at birth
Red spots on the bridge of the nose, at the eyes and on the back of the head are found in almost half of newborns. In the people they are called “stork bite” or “kiss of an angel.” Such spots become brighter when the child screams or cries. These are dilated blood vessels that do not pose a health hazard. In most cases, they pass on their own.
- A “stork bite” can manifest itself in the heat and at an older age. You do not need to do anything about it.
Do you have children? What was the biggest surprise they gave you after birth? Share your baby’s achievements with the world.
- 20+ Little-Known Facts About Bill Gates – Life Lessons from Billionaire Bill Gates
- 15+ Wedding Cakes That Guests Will Remember More Than Celebration Itself
- A Website Has Appeared That Makes All Cartoon Characters. We Tested It On Celebrities (You Can Upload Your Own Photo Too)
- 15+ People Who Decided to Start a New Life And Transformed Beyond Recognition
- 18 Photos That Really Catch Your Eye To a Non-Standard Angle