Political

Trump threatened to permanently stop funding the WHO

President Trump has threatened to completely freeze funding for the World Health Organization (WHO) unless there is a “significant improvement” within 30 days.

Washington has stopped funding for WHO since mid-April, accusing WHO of being too close to Beijing and responding poorly to the pandemic.

On May 18, Mr. Trump posted on Twitter a snapshot of the letter he sent to WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and said that everyone could understand himself.

In the letter, Mr. Trump listed a list of WHO shortcomings in the pandemic response, including not paying attention to the early signs that the virus was spreading.

“It is clear that the repeated mistakes you and your organization have made in dealing with the pandemic have greatly affected the world. The only way to continue is that WHO must show its independence from China, ”Mr. Trump wrote in the letter.

“If the WHO does not commit to improving the situation significantly within the next 30 days, the suspension of funding is going from temporary to permanent, and we will reconsider joining WHO,” he said.

Earlier, on May 18, the WHO said it would independently assess the response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

In this online meeting, Mr. Tedros acknowledged the shortcomings and said he welcomed calls for investigation.

Since January, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has held an almost daily press conference about the virus and has always warned world leaders that the “door” to stop spreading “is closing.”

Trump administration officials and the US quarantine agency (CDC) work closely with WHO. The CDC has always warned against the disease in China, but President Trump has publicly rejected the CDC.

Previously, Mr. Trump himself supported Mr. Tedros for the position of WHO Director-General.

Not only is the funding suspension, the US government seems to be making further moves behind the scenes, according to the Washington Post ‘s late April newsletter .

Accordingly, State Department officials are eliminating WHO references in virus information sheets and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo ordered “bypassing the intermediary partner” when it comes to public health projects. The United States has previously deployed it through WHO.

Instead, the United States is trying to divert funds for WHO to other non-governmental organizations in the field of public health.

But if so, there is a risk that US money will be dispersed, inefficient. Many comments questioned about finding other partners when the disease has reached the current level.

  • WHO updates mask recommendations

    Now they are advised to wear not only sick.

    WHO Director-General Tedros Hebreyusus, at a new briefing on COVID-19, announced new recommendations for the prevention of coronavirus. Here are the main points:

    • Doctors and other medical staff should always wear masks, regardless of whether they work with infected coronavirus infections or not.
    • People over 60 years of age, as well as those who have chronic diseases, are advised to wear masks wherever it is impossible to maintain physical distance.
    • The governments of the countries should encourage the wearing of masks in any places where it is impossible to maintain physical distance, especially for public transport and shops.
    • Those with symptoms similar to coronavirus infection should stay at home. All who contacted him should be quarantined.
    • If a sick person or someone who has contacted him needs to leave the house, he must wear a mask.
    • WHO considers masks to be of high quality, which consist of three layers of different materials or more.

    Previously, the WHO spoke only about the need to wear masks for patients who were ill, because there was insufficient data (apart from clinical studies, which many experts consider to be of little relevance to real life).

  • WHO recorded 106,000 new infections globally in 24 hours

    The WHO recorded 106,000 infections in 24 hours, a record day since the outbreak, with two-thirds of these cases recorded in only 4 countries.

    Tedros Adhanom-Ghebreyesus, Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO), said on May 20 that the number of coronavirus infections reported to the agency in the past 24 hours has been higher than at any time since outbreaks, according to CNN.

    “We still have a long way to go in this pandemic,” Tedros said at a news conference in Geneva, Switzerland. “In the past 24 hours, 106,000 cases have been reported to WHO – the highest daily level since the outbreak.”

    “About two-thirds of these cases have been reported in only four countries,” he added.

    WHO records 106,000 new cases on a global basis in 24 hours 1 image tedr.JPG
    Reuters.

    According to WHO epidemiologist Maria Van Kerkhove, confirming with CNN via email, these four countries are the US , Russia, Brazil and India.

    It should be noted that there may be a delay in reporting the number of cases at various points in the process, so the above date record does not mean that these 106,000 people were infected, tested or statistically counted in the last 24 hours.

    According to the constantly updated data of John Hopkins University, the world has recorded nearly 5 million cases of coronavirus, of which more than 326,000 people have died. The United States remains the leading country in both cases – more than 1.5 million, and deaths – more than 93,000.

    Notably, Russia has recently become the second country in the number of cases – more than 308,000, although only a few weeks earlier did not even make the top 20 of the list. Brazil also climbed rapidly in the ranking, ranking third in the number of cases – more than 271,000.

    Russia is ranked second in terms of deaths – more than 35,000, followed by Italy – more than 32,000, France – more than 28,000, Spain – more than 27,000.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close