Writer J.K. Rowling is ranked # 2 on Forbes ‘ list of highest paid writers . Her greatest things is that she helped children to break away from gadgets and finally start reading. Moreover, despite the fact that the first novel was released already in 1997, more and more fans of the saga appear. And not least the film industry contributes to this.
We decided to find out how JK originally planned to do with the plot of our favorite books. And it’s good that she changed her mind.
- Harry and Hermione were originally supposed to be together. As the author admitted in an interview, she abandoned this idea for reasons “having little to do with literature.”
- It was planned that Hermione’s father would pull Harry out of the ruins of his parents’ house after the attack of Voldemort. According to the original idea , Hermione’s family lived next door to the Potters, and it was Mr. Granger who was supposed to save Harry instead of Hagrid.
- Draco Malfoy wasn’t supposed to be Harry’s only enemy at Hogwarts. Slytherin Theodore Nott was originally with intelligence and malice more than Malfoy, but later Rowling changed her mind and his role was significantly reduced.
- The last phrase from the book “Deathly Hallows” carries a positive: “Everything was good.” However, Joanne wanted to end it with the word “scar”.
- Another character was deleted by the editor from the already finished book – Mopsy, a passionate dog lover. She was supposed to shelter Sirius in his animal form.
- According to the original plan , Hermione had a younger Muggle sister. However, the author subsequently removed it.
- Sybill Trelawney was not supposed to be the one and only teacher of divination. There was also Mopsus – a prophet who lost his sight. But it was abandoned, as the plot was already becoming too complex.
- One of the main characters had to die. Rowling said that she wanted to do it around the middle of the book series, but fortunately changed her mind , because Ron Weasley is Hermione’s true love.
- The death of Arthur Weasley after the attack of Nagini was also assumed in the 5th book. Initially, the author planned to kill Arthur in the Department of Mysteries, but then changed her mind, since he was the only good father left alive.
- Dean Thomas (by the way, at first he was called Gary ) could have joined the famous trio of main characters instead of Neville, but Joan decided to portray Longbottom more vividly. By the way, Dean’s father was a wizard who was killed by the Death Eaters for not wanting to join Voldemort. His wife and son never found out.
- In Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington was going to sing a song on his death anniversary (but never did). It described how he was beheaded on October 31, 1492 for conjuring Lady Grieve‘s huge fangs instead of reducing her teeth.
- Trocar made an appearance only on J. K. Rowling’s earliest planning notes for the books, and disappeared from her plans fairly early on, since she “did not think much of him as a character”. A trocar is a medical device inserted into arteries or cavities to extract bodily fluids.
- The Sorting Hat is a sentient hat at Hogwarts that magically determines which of the four school Houses each new student belongs most to. These four Houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. The Sorting Hat originally belonged to Godric Gryffindor, one of the four founders of Hogwarts. It normally stays in the Headmaster’s office until it is needed.
Do you think it is good that Mama Ro abandoned her original plans, or were some of her plans worth developing?